Season 2009/10

Penicuik vs Harthill Royal MJM Flooring Cup 1st Round
Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
The Players
Our Sponsors
Season 2008-09
Penicuik goal scorers
Penicuik Committee

Penicuik: Livie, Gallagher, Steel, Meikle, Foster, Gay, Jones, Milne, Killin, McDonald, Moonie Subs: Lynch, Cole, Montgomery, Cameron, Barr


Harthill: Neally, Logan, Beattie, Hendry, Killen, Connolly, Carmichael, Fleming, Nicholson, Easton, Martin Subs: Sorley, Gardiner McGuire, Beattie


Referee: Mr Graham Leslie

Match Sponsor: Carnethy Electrical
Match Ball Sponsor: Castle Warehouse

Penicuik 4 Harthill 1

Harthill Royal received a warm welcome to Penicuik Park for the first round of the MJM Flooring Cup, having been the very first team to play at Penicuik Athletic six seasons ago when team reformed. The game started brightly and Penicuik came close when a Milne header from a corner kick went just wide of the goal. However, Penicuik took the lead in the 12th minute when McDonald set up JONES who squeezed the ball home through a ruck of Harthill defenders. Three minutes later, following a free kick to Harthill, Carmichael’s header went narrowly over the crossbar.


Then a defence splitting pass picked out EASTON who broke between Foster and Meikle to slot the ball past the advancing Livie into the bottom corner of the net.

In the 22nd minute, Harthill broke quickly up the right wing, but Livie saved Connolly’s shot at the second attempt. Immediately afterwards, Penicuik saw a Gallagher shot and rebound blocked and cleared off the goal line. In the 27th minute, a neat one two between McDonald and Killin saw McDONALD get past his marker to slam the ball home from twelve yards.


Half Time: Penicuik 2 Harthill 1


In the opening minute of the second half, a pinpoint pass picked out McDonald. He raced in on goal and tried to chip Neally, but his effort was easily saved by the keeper. In the 51st minute, Harthill’s Nicholson tried a long range shot, but his strike went straight into the arms of Livie. Minutes later, a Penicuik free kick was partially cleared to Gay on the edge of the penalty area, but his volley whistled inches over the bar. Penicuik increased their lead in the 62nd minute when FOSTER rose above the defence to head home a Gay free kick. Penicuik sat back and appeared content to defend their two goal lead and were almost caught out when a quick snap shot was brilliantly turned round the post by Livie.


Immediately afterwards, Martin came close for Harthill when his shot went inches past the post. Harthill were pushing hard and piling on the pressure, but could not find a way past a solid Penicuik defence. In the 72nd minute, there were loud calls for a penalty for Penicuik when Steel appeared to be brought down in the box, but referee Leslie waved play on. The ball was cleared long and a mistake by Meikle allowed substitute Gardiner a chance, but Livie rushed out to smother the ball. In the 83rd minute, Livie pulled off another great save to deny Harthill. In the 90th minute, keeper Neally tipped a Gay shot into the side netting. However from the corner kick the ball was only partially cleared and was crossed back in by Montgomery. Cole rose to head the ball over Neally and McDONALD came in at the back post to tap the ball home.



Click on photos to enlarge