Season 2009/10

Penicuik vs Kilwinning Rangers 13.12.08 - 3rd Round Scottish Cup

Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
The Players
Our Sponsors
Season 2008-09
Penicuik goal scorers
Penicuik Committee


Penicuik: Ramage, Gallagher, Lynch, Milne, Meikle, Barr, Ryrie, McDonald, Cameron, Moonie, Steel Subs: Foster, Gibb, Montgomery, Jones, Cowan


Kilwinning Rangers: C Wilson, S Wilson, Gilmour, McGregor, Philipson, Shields, Broadfield, Mason, Tyler, Baxter, Faulds Subs Moore, Keddie, McCausland, Grant, Hill


Referee: Mr M Banks

Match Sponsors: The Rookie Cookies
Match Ball Sponsor: Steve McInnes Joinery

Penicuik 1 Kilwinning Rangers 0

This twice postponed 3rd round Scottish Junior Cup tie finally went ahead on a very heavy pitch, but that did not detract from the quality of football and excitement provided for the fans. Four minutes into the game and a long-range effort by Kilwinning had Ramage looking anxiously on as the ball dipped over the crossbar. Then a great cross by Steel was met first time by Moonie, but his strike was inches off target. In the 9th minute, following a corner to Penicuik, the ball was tipped away by keeper Wilson, but was quickly returned by Meikle. PHILIPSON attempted to kick the ball clear, but it sliced off his boot into his own net. Immediately afterwards, a three pass flowing move by Penicuik from their own penalty box saw Steel shoot narrowly over the bar.


Kilwinning’s first chance of the game came minutes later when Gilmour should have done better after good work by Faulds, but his strike was well off target.

In the 21st minute, following a Kilwinning free kick, the ball was cleared to Tyler, but his low shot went inches past the post. Then Ramage turned another free kick to Kilwinning round the post for a corner kick. Kilwinning were now applying some pressure and Ramage again saved the day when he beat away a sizzler of a shot by Tyler. The same player again tested Ramage two minutes later, but the keeper was up to the task. In the 32nd minute, Kilwinning came close when a McGregor free kick went just over the crossbar. Some real cup-tie tackles were going in and in the 37th minute, Philipson got his marching orders for a bad foul on Ryrie.


Half Time: Penicuik 1 Kilwinning 0


In the 52nd minute, Penicuik should have doubled their lead when McDonald had only the keeper to beat from six yards, but Wilson pulled of a great save to block McDonald’s shot. Four minutes later, an excellent move up the right wing saw Cameron play in Ryrie, but Wilson blocked his shot. The ball fell to Moonie, but he failed to capitalise on the opportunity. Immediately afterwards, a Penicuik corner fell to Meikle, but his effort went well wide of the upright. In the 65th minute, Gilmour made a great diagonal run across the park and set up Tyler, who got round the advancing Ramage, only to see his strike on goal well read and cut out by Meikle. In the 68th minute, a 30 yard drive by Milne was well saved by Wilson.


Then a neat interchange between Ryrie and McDonald ended with a powerful shot by Ryrie that keeper Wilson did well to turn away for a corner kick. One minute later, Cameron met a cross by Montgomery, but his header went narrowly past the upright. In the 77th minute, there was a huge sigh of relief from the Penicuik fans when a great from 35 yard strike by Shields crashed back off the junction of the post and crossbar with Ramage beaten. Two minutes later, Ramage had to be quick to cut out a dangerous low cross into the six yard box by substitute Grant. With three minutes left, Tyler’s pace left defenders in his wake before shooting for goal. The shot was blocked but fell to him again, but his second effort was sliced past the post. In the 89th minute, Kilwinning’s Gilmour received his second booking and was sent off, ending the game on a sour note. As the players left the park, Tyler also received a second yellow card.

Click photos to enlarge