Season 2009/10

Tranent vs Penicuik 11.8.08
Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
The Players
Our Sponsors
Season 2008-09
Penicuik goal scorers
Penicuik Committee

Tranent: Smith, Tate, Draper, McPartlin, Dunn, Graham, Small, Horne, Anderson, Auld, C Gray Subs: McFarlane, McLean, Riding, C Smith, G Gray


Penicuik: Ramage, McDiarmid, Steel, Robertson, Foster, Barr, Gallagher, Cole, Cameron, Milne, Montgomery, Subs: Jones, McKean, Hope, Cowan


Referee: Mr Alan Hogg

Tranent 2 Penicuik 4

In the 4th minute, a great diagonal pass by McDiarmid picked out Montgomery, but his first time shot went narrowly past the upright. Then Montgomery set up Steel with a neat back heel, but he dragged his shot wide of the goal. Immediately afterwards, a 20 yard shot by Milne was well saved by Smith in goal. Then Tranent’s Graham picked out Small with an inch perfect pass, but Ramage saved his strike comfortably. In the 11th minute, Small got in ahead of his marker at the front post only to see his strike go inches wide of the goal. Penicuik took the lead in the 15th minute when CAMERON headed home powerfully from a Montgomery cross to the back post.


Five minutes later, a defence splitting pass set Graham free on the right and his low cross found Auld in the six yard box, but he somehow contrived to hit the crossbar with his shot when it seemed easier to score. Then Anderson had a shot well saved by Ramage. On the half hour, a defensive error by Penicuik allowed Graham in on goal, but he blasted the ball high and wide of the target from 18 yards. Shortly afterwards, another great chance fell Tranent’s way, but Tate sliced his shot wide of Ramage’s left hand post. Penicuik doubled their lead in the 40th minute when, following a corner, Tranent failed to clear the ball and STEEL was on hand to slot the ball home from close range.


Half Time: Tranent 0 Penicuik 2


Three minutes into the second half, a sweeping move by Tranent saw the Penicuik defence in a state of disarray, but despite having three clear cut opportunities to score, Tranent failed to capitalise on their chances and Ramage finally got down to smother the ball. In the 53rd minute, Milne saw his powerful left foot volley go inches wide of goal.  Four minutes later, keeper Smith was well placed to save an effort by Barr after Cameron held the ball up well. In the 67th minute, Barr found substitute Jones on the right wing. He left Draper in his wake and crossed the ball hard and low into the penalty area. MONTGOMERY, rushing in struck the ball first time from the edge of the box, past keeper Smith.


One minute later, three passes from defence found Barr but his attempted lob drooped narrowly over the crossbar with Smith watching anxiously. Penicuik then fell out of the game and allowed Tranent the room to play, and in the 75th minute, Robertson was dispossessed just outside his penalty area. Substitute McFARLANE then unleashed an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net via the underside of the crossbar. Three minutes later, with the Penicuik defence ball watching, McFARLANE pulled back another goal when he headed home from inside the penalty area. Tranent were now looking for the equaliser, but Penicuik woke up again and in the 85th minute, MILNE headed home a Montgomery corner kick to put the game beyond Tranent.

Click on photos to enlarge