Season 2009/10

Newtongrange vs Penicuik 9.8.08
Match Reports
Fixtures and Results
The Players
Our Sponsors
Season 2008-09
Penicuik goal scorers
Penicuik Committee

Newtongrange: Burgess, Swaney, Forbes, McManus, Woodburn, Hardie, Hutchison, Thomson, Meaney, Gielty, Roseburgh Subs: McCulloch, Cook, MacNamara, Affleck, Hill


Penicuik: Castle (T), McDiarmid (T), Steel, Gallagher, Foster, Barr, Jones, McDonald, Cameron, Milne, Montgomery Subs Cole, Hope, Robertson, Cowan


Referee: Mr Scott McComish

Newtongrange 6 Penicuik 2

In the opening minute, Newtongrange should have scored, but Thomson failed to slot home a great Meaney cross into the six yard box. Two minutes later, Penicuik threatened from a corner kick, but Burgess easily gathered Milne’s effort. In the 11th minute, a free kick to Newtongrange was headed on by Roseburgh to HUTCHISON who side footed the ball across the keeper into the opposite corner of the net. Penicuik equalised in the 20th minute with a superb passing move from deep inside their own half ended with McDONALD slotting the ball past Burgess into the far corner of the net.


Immediately afterwards, Meaney came close with a header. In the 24th minute, Cameron met a great cross by Jones into the six yard box, but his strike crashed off the crossbar and down on to the goal line. The ball was then thumped clear and found MEANEY. He left his marker standing, rounded the keeper and stroked the ball into the empty net. Three minutes later an innocuous shot was mishandled by keeper Castle and HUTCHISON had an easy task of tapping the ball home from close range. Then another great Jones cross caused consternation in the Star defence, but the ball was desperately scrambled clear. Minutes later a Cameron shot went inches past after good work by Jones. In the 43rd minute, Burgess saved Newtongrange with an instinctive one handed save from Cameron. Then from a corner kick, Cameron headed inches wide of the target.


Half Time: Newtongrange 3 Penicuik 1


In the 49th minute keeper Castle did well to turn a Swaney shot past the post for a corner. Six minutes later, Penicuik pulled a goal back when Jones picked out STEEL with a neat pass and he drove the ball home from 18 yards. In the 64th minute Newtongrange restored their two goal lead when Meaney got past his marker and shot for goal. Keeper Castle got a foot to the ball, but McCULLOCH followed up at the back post to slot home the rebound. Then in the 75th minute, Burgess got down well to save a shot by Barr.


Four minutes later the Penicuik defence was caught out when McCULLOCH got in ahead of his marker to glance a header home from Gielty corner kick to the front post. Newtongrange were now in charge of the game and Penicuik were constantly on the back foot. However, just before full time, in a rare Penicuik attack, Barr saw his well struck effort go narrowly over the crossbar. Four minutes into injury time, referee McComish awarded a soft penalty kick to Newtongrange, and Foster of Penicuik was red carded for his protestations. HUTCHISON completed the scoring, and his hat trick, with a well struck spot kick.

Click on the photos to enlarge