Website designed and maintained by Website4u 20.4.11 Armadale 1 Penicuik 1
Armadale: Walker, Morrison, Bonnar, Buchanan, Manson, Mauchline, Ballantine, Chilton, Brown Finlayson, Connelly Subs: Feeney, Meechen, Barnes, Morgan, Brown, Roberts Penicuik: Bald, Gallagher, McDermott, Meikle, McKay, Riley, Gay, Smith, Harvey, Millar, Killin Subs: Brigain, Leighfield, Walker, Lockhart, Parkin Penicuik were rocked back on their heels in 90 seconds when a ball over the top of the defence found Brown who rushed in to score, but was upended by Bald. The keeper was adjudged to have denied a scoring opportunity and was red carded. Dean Walker took over in goal with Riley being substituted. BROWN competently converted the spot kick. Penicuik were back on level terms in the 9th minute when MILLAR headed home a cross from the right by Harvey. In the 18th minute McDermott chipped keeper Walker only to see his effort go narrowly wide of goal. Minutes later, Armadale set up an attack down the left wing where Gallagher trying to cut out the ball, pulled up with a hamstring injury. The ball was crossed to the back post where Finlayson got his head to the ball but missed the target from three yards. Then a Gay corner kick was headed past the upright by McKay. In the 32nd minute, a flowing move by Penicuik culminated with a Brigain strike being block by last gasp defending. Four minutes later, keeper Walker’s punched clear from a corner kick and the ball fell to Gay who volleyed it first time, but Walker, at full stretch pulled off a great two handed save. Half Time: Armadale 1 Penicuik 1 In the opening minute, Armadale keeper Walker was brought into action when he saved a Millar header. In the 56th  minute, Walker was again in action to save a Gay free kick. Three minutes later, Smith won the ball in midfield and laid the ball off to McDermott on the left. He drove up the left wing leaving defenders in his wake and cut the ball back to Harvey. His quick turn and strike was brilliantly saved by Walker. In their next attack, Penicuik broke up the right where Smith raced past his marker and fired the ball into the middle of the penalty box where Manson stuck out a boot to deflect the ball away for a corner. In the 78th minute, another superb diagonal pass by Gay picked out Harvey who turned his man and shot for goal. Walker again came to the rescue for the home side with another excellent save low down to his right. At the other end, substitute Meechen had a chance when he but headed a cross to the back post wide of the target. In the 79th minute a great ball out of defence picked out Harvey who drove in on goal only to see his shot deflected inches past the post for a corner. In the final minute, Smith was cautioned for a second time and sent off. With Penicuik down to ten men for virtually the whole of the game, everyone expected Armadale to go on and win comfortably. However, Penicuik were by far the better team, with Gay in midfield outstanding. If it were not for Armadale’s keeper pulling off some excellent saves, the home side would have been comprehensively beaten. Every credit should also be given to Penicuik’s defence who protected substitute keeper Walker to the extent that he little or nothing to do throughout the game.